Passignano was an Etruscan village.
The Abbey, as Padre Soldani recounts in his "Historia Passinianensis", was founded in 891 thanks to the efforts of a man named Sichelmo.

In 1050 Giovanni Gualberto, founder of the Vallombrosian order, gave new life to the Badia increasing its influence on the church in Tuscany.

In the 15th century Lorenzo the Magnificent, after obtaining the Pope's permission, sent three thousand soldiers to oust the monks by force for the benefit of his son Giovanni.

In 1499 Giovanni, after becoming Pope taking the name of Leo X, gave the Abbey back to the monks for a considerable yearly tribute. The Vallombrosians became the sole proprietors until Napoleon confiscated all their property

Today the monks are back.
There are notable works of art in the Badia: the statue of Giovanni Gualberto by Giovanni Battista Caccini, paintings by Domenico Cresti, known as "Passignano", frescoes by Alessandro Allori and Ghirlandaio.
The latter painted the beautiful "Last Supper" in the refectory .

In front of the house there is an old bas-relief in polychrome terracotta.

Abbey of Passignano


View from Podere Badia a Passignano

 
Podere Torcilacqua - Strada Greve, 8 - Loc. Badia a Passignano - 50028 Tavarnelle Val di Pesa - Florence - Phone. 055 8071598

Copyright 2012 - All rights reserved
Siti internet by InYourLife